At T. Smith Engineering, we recognize that that our employees are our most important asset. We give our people the tools and support to grow and enrich their careers, so if you have the ambition and drive to succeed, join us and we’ll help you to become your very best. We welcome and encourage applications from all qualified individuals.
Current Job Offerings
Job Title: Building Technician
Company: T. Smith Engineering Inc.
Reports To: Engineers
Location: Etobicoke, Ontario
T. Smith Engineering Inc. is a structural forensic, building science and environmental engineering firm that specializes in forensic examination and analysis of building failures, damage assessment, and design for restoration of properties (inclusive of residential, commercial and industrial buildings) that have been subjected to large losses. This includes but is not limited to: fire damage, water damage due to floods, tree impact and vehicle impact damage.
The Building Technician is a role that is designed to be supportive of the Engineer’s projects. They are primarily responsible for on-site property measurement and rendering basic architectural and structural layouts using Autodesk software. They are also responsible for researching any supporting information required for projects. This may include but not limited to: zoning information, building code requirements, and specific regulations on environmental engineering. They will also be responsible for all data compilation that will assist the engineers. Upon completion, they may be required to finalize the process by applying for building permits with according municipal boards. All activities will be done under the direction and supervision of senior technologists and engineers.
Responsible for four key areas including:
Analytical Responsibilities: Conducts field inspection of properties in order to determine scope of damage. Completes in-house drawings with specifications on repairing and restoring existing structures. Conducts final inspection after project planning is complete and ensures project completion and alignment with organizational objective. Ensures compliance with The Ontario Building Code.
Diagnostic Responsibilities: Environmental sampling, data collection, and all research/data compilation associated with allowable levels of contaminants and pathogens, site dependent.
Project Delivery: Research relating to all zoning, committee of adjustment, heritage, and conservation authority departments. Compilation of all aforementioned data into useable information thus facilitating the building permit acquisition process. Responsible for the building application process inclusive of addressing deficiency notices regarding zoning, building code, etc. under the supervision of senior technologists and project engineer.
Client Relationships: Schedules appointments with owners, adjusters, contractors, building officials, insurance representatives, property managers, and other consultants to thoroughly discuss concerns during and upon completion of projects.
- On-site measurement of properties after fire damage, water damage, vehicle impact damage, chimney fire, oil-spill, explosion, wind damage etc.
- Rendering the aforementioned properties using Revit Software
- Prepare the preliminary repair specifications designated by engineers
- Environmental sample and data collection for Asbestos, Mold or Lead etc. testing and send to laboratories
- Conduct detailed research on topics relating to the losses
- Apply for the building permits and be able to co-ordinate with the municipal building departments
- Conduct the final inspection of the properties if required
- Maybe required to assist with other duties and tasks as assigned
- Prior construction knowledge
- High School Diploma
- Diploma in Civil Engineering Technician or equivalent is not required but considered an asset
- Understanding the foundations of a safe structure and knowledge of the different materials and tool used in construction
- Knowing design techniques and tools in order to create basic reports and drawings
- Familiarization with “The Ontario Building Code”
- Understanding the insurance process in order to assist clients with their claims
- Have worked in construction before or hands-on or on-site exposure to multitude of different sites/losses
- Computer Skills: Familiarization with Revit and/or Auto-Cad software
- Mathematical Skills: To prepare the measurements associated with the loss
- Written and Oral Communication Skills: Strong command in english to be able to coordinate with clients, building departments and to adequately address client concerns
- Project & Time Management Skills: To prepare timely drawings while overseeing the project assigned
- Ability to work under pressure in a busy and fast-paced environment
- Ability to understand what is happening on sites and identify the loss
- Able to understand not to walk on a non-structurally sound area but still be able to inspect it adequately
- Ability to adequately draw building structures
- Ability to work in team-based work environment
- Must be able to accommodate schedule to manage multiple projects
- Potential health hazards such as migraines, due to aftermath of a damage site including unsafe chemicals or smoke etc.
- A considerable amount of traveling involved within the GTA and Ontario depending on the site location
- Must be comfortable working outdoors and in unconditioned spaces throughout the year
- Must be comfortable working at heights
Working Conditions and Standards:
- Must have valid Ontario Driver License
- Must provide own reliable vehicle (Mileage will be compensated)
- Background Check may be required
T. Smith Engineering Inc. welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.